Pages

Monday, March 17, 2014

Recurring Elements 03/17/2014

03-17-2014

2380 words written today!

Happy St. Patrick’s day! It’s a Monday, so try not to get too drunk, alright? As for writing, I’ve been extra motivated recently. I’m building to that downhill slide that is the climax of the novel. The downhill part comes with how easy it is to write. The climax is really the only part of the book I think about as I go, because I do think that planning it out just a little bit is conducive to a healthy plot. In my books, I build toward events and have things that need to be recalled back to. This requires some forethought, because if I just wrote, these elements might not always come back the way I want to design them to.

Some writers who just write will go back and fix these issues later.  They’ll get it on the first edit, but I try to get it on the first draft. Obviously, some things will need revision or be forgotten, but that’s natural. If I work to plan for certain things to be recurring elements or building plot toward the climax, I can make a more intertwined web of a story. Basically, if I have something hinted at in chapter one and don’t plan a spot for it to recur near the end, I will lose it in the narration and will need to rewrite it out, or write it in at the end.  But, such is the danger of being a man of little planning. It all seems very obvious, but it can be difficult to get right.

Bishop

No comments:

Post a Comment