Pages

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Keeping Score 03/13/2014

03/13/2014

2360 words today, making 10861 for the week, already over goal!

Book 2 has passed the 72k mark, and I’m really flying high on the emotion of it. When I start my works, that word counter is like a score keeper. I watch it get higher and higher and with it comes my self esteem. I feel like I’m truly accomplishing something with the number’s rising digits. I celebrate everyday when I pass 2k, but I really feel good when I hit those tens. 10k, still a long way to go, but that’s a decent chunk down. 20k, even more so. 30, 40, 50… It all just feels better and better until I hit around the 90k mark.

With both books, I have had a dip around 60k where I worry I’m not doing right by the story. Am I not good enough? Am I not writing as well as so-and-so would? This bogs me down a bit and it can be tough to really hit my stride. Around 90k, though, it’s the opposite. I’ve only hit 90k once, and that was with book 1, but when I hit 90k, I was so ecstatic and could so easily see the end in sight, that I pushed hard. Probably too hard, in fact. I burned 6k the day after I hit 90, and another 9k the day after that to finish the book. I had to go back and expand some sections because I rushed through them so much at the end, but I’ve never felt so driven to do anything creative in my life. I pushed myself to write constantly in those two days, and the second day I stayed up late just to make sure it finished. And it did.

Hitting “The End” on a book is a feeling of immense accomplishment. I would say it’s akin to finishing a marathon, but I have never run a marathon (and never intend to, but I am in awe of those who do).  If it feels half as good as finishing a novel, then it probably feels pretty damn good.

Bishop

No comments:

Post a Comment