Pages

Monday, March 24, 2014

Caffeine! 03/24/2014

03/24/2014

2085 words today! Woo!

Book 2 has passed the 89,000 word mark, and our heroes are in the throes of the tense “act 3.” Should be exciting once it actually hits shelves and/or e-readers. Soon… sooooooooon…

Anyway, I really don’t have much to talk about today.  Haha! Okay, that was a lie.

One of the things I’ve been discussing (what are the odds I start with that statement?) is narrative style. To be first or third? (Or even second person, if it’s a choose your own adventure novel) Past or present tense? I write in third person past tense, every time. Except on this blog, of course. It might be a personal preference, and it might be just a straight up bias, but I really dislike the present tense narratives. First person usually goes hand in hand when the book is present tense, and while I dislike first person narratives less than I dislike the present tense, it still puts me off.

I suppose it’s because of what I read. I like sci-fi, cheap or classic. Generally (though obviously not exclusively) these books are written in the classic third person past narrative. That’s how I read, and how I’ve always written. It’s what I’m comfortable with, what I love. A lot of people will tell you to write what’s comfortable for you, but I agree with Stephen King when he writes in his book On Writing, that unless you have a very specific reason to write in the first person, write it in third person. It’s just, to me, a more formal looking story style, and makes for an easier read. I get very sick of people saying “I” and “me” all the time.

See, that was a joke, because I say “I” all the time on this blog!

PS, can you tell I've had a lot of caffeine today?

Bishop

No comments:

Post a Comment