Pages

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Length 03/27/2014

03/27/2014

Another 2275 words down, and edited another chapter of book 1. Rockin’ day.

My second book is not going to be quite as long as I expected it to be. Book 1 came in at about 105k (after some editing, it’s down to 104k, and more to cut), and book 2 is currently 95,600 words. I the rest of the climax will take me only a few thousand more, probably three or four thousand, and then the resolution will most likely be another three to four. Originally, going into this second story, I was expecting it to be around 150k. I ended up making changes to the plot as things unfolded (because they unfolded much better than I had half-planned them to), and things just sort of flew by. I expect that book 2 will be about as long as book 1, maybe a smidge longer.

But that’s okay. I liked the length of book 1, I think it puts the book in a very publishable position, as sci-fi novel ranges for first time publishing range around 100k as a nice length and it was enough room to tell the story I wanted without over writing or under writing anything. I suppose I worried too much about the length from the beginning, but I just love the feeling of counting down until I hit my desired endpoint that I got caught up wondering where that endpoint was. I estimate that book 2’s first draft will have its final word in place by the end of the month, and I could not be happier with it so far. As a first draft, it stands up with far fewer mistakes than book 1 (which required a LONG first edit) and I’m excited to be able to dive into publishing with an extra volume in my back pocket in case the unthinkably wonderful happens and they say, “Have you thought about a sequel?”

Here’s to dreaming!

Bishop

No comments:

Post a Comment