Pages

Friday, March 21, 2014

Inspiration Part III 03/21/2014

03/21/2014

2156 words down today.

I’ve been discussing inspiration in my last couple blog posts, so I figured I might as well make it a trilogy. Inspiration is, as I’ve said, truly different for every person who creates. It works differently for each person because we each work differently. It truly is as they always told me as a child, we’re all like little snowflakes.

That being said, I do believe that the only thing a writer can do is write. Be there inspiration or not, a writer must write, or he stagnates. That isn’t to say that an artist does not need to push through whether or not there’s inspiration. I don’t know enough about painting or drawing to make that statement one way or the next. For writing, though, it’s imperative that the writer beats his inspiration to submission and makes it work for him. What inspires me lately is reading. I read and it makes me want to write, and write better. For some people it may be different, but the necessity remains.

A writer must write in order to be a writer, and so if you wait for inspiration to come along, you’ll wake up one day and realize you’re waiting for nothing. Your waiting turns into raw procrastination, and stagnation occurs. This is the entire reason I began my 2K-a-day personal challenge. It’s the reason why NaNoWriMo exists—to get people habitually writing without the necessity of waiting for some divine moment of clarity.  Don’t wait for it. Hunt it.

Tomorrow is my work Saturday, so expect an update!

Bishop

No comments:

Post a Comment