Pages

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Middles 03/04/2014

03/04/2014

2024 words today, barely made the goal.

I'm at a tough spot that I'm sure a lot of writers get into. I'm between two great moments of action in that all-important middle of my book. This puts me at 54,310 words so far into book 2, which is somewhere between halfway and one third of the way through what I plan to write. The middle can be hard, for many many writers, but especially for writers that don't really plan the entire book out (pantsers, as we're called). It's difficult to keep the action rising toward the climax without accidentally sagging the middle, or letting certain elements drag on for length purposes. A lot of panters like myself have a beginning and a climax in mind (some have even less when they start) and making them connect is the tough part.

I've got a vague idea of what I'm going to do with this middle section, and I hardly think it's sagging, I'm merely having trouble connecting two points of the narrative to one another. My characters are spread out geographically right now, so I have to shift from one to another and keep the narrative interesting and keep the elements of mystery that I'm trying to maintain. As I always say, I think I'm doing well, but that will really only be seen in editing.

Bishop

No comments:

Post a Comment