Pages

Friday, February 28, 2014

Pantsing! 02/28/2014

02/28/2014

2080 words today!

And it was a busy one. At work, I had a lot to get done (and still do!) and barely was able to finish writing on my lunch break.

One of things I've been seeing a lot of is the debate about planning vs pantsing in writing. Pantsing, as it's often referred, is the idea of just writing by the seat of your pants, typing furiously to add to the story in progress without a care in the world as to planning out the plot. I find myself between the two of these methods, as I plan out the major plot points, who kills who, what big events will eventually happen, but I also pants. Each individual scene is completely fresh and I let my characters act as the wind-up toys they are. Today I wrote a scene that turned into something completely unexpected as the characters spoke in my mind and made things go differently than I'd originally planned. I had to go back and change a few little things from earlier scenes in order to maintain continuity, but it kept the pacing better and made for a more interesting twist to the story.

That sort of technique is what I love about the craft, and the surprise that comes with it. Everytime I write something new, it's just that: new! I didn't necessarily expect X to happen, but it's awesome! And it might lead into Y, or even just jump to Z! So, I suppose between the two, I'm a pantser, writing with speed and unknown direction, but I like that. This isn't to say anything's wrong with the other methods, but they're just wrong for me.

Bishop

No comments:

Post a Comment