Pages

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The Periodic Table of Story Elements

The Periodic Table of Story Elements By James Harris

I love this thing. I just discovered it today thanks to a friend linking me to writingprompts.tumblr.com (Another great site!) and have been toying with it a bit this morning. I probably would have gotten my 2K done a lot faster had I not discovered it!

It does a decent job of connecting storytelling to many of its elements, using references to pop culture and some classics. I also like the idea of taking some of the major story elements to make a "molecule" of the work. Obviously, some works (particularly novels, which are longer) incorporate many, many elements of this table as they're so universally used in great story telling. While obviously not intentional, these elements are formed by the culture around us, using and reusing these tropes and telling great tales with them and influencing us to do the same.

In any case, it's a nice summation of some simple ideas that can be built into great tales.

Bishop

No comments:

Post a Comment