Pages

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Rewrite Time!

So, while I have a handful of projects ready to go for my next novel, I've shifted my priorities some. It's time to work toward publishing, in some capacity, and as a result I've decided to rewrite my first book, for a couple of reasons.

The primary reason is that I love that book, but I'm not the same writer I was when I started it. I'm much better, writing more concisely with consistent voice and overall, better habits. As I said, I still love the tale itself, and I want to preserve that. It perfectly sets up the universe I write about, has some memorable and fun characters (more on them in a moment), and really works as a story.

As I said, I love the characters in this book. They're also the characters in books two and three of the same series (obviously), and after writing one and a half more books about them I really feel like I know them better than when I had started book one. So, going back to rewrite (especially the beginning chapters) of book one, I'm getting a chance to write them as they should have been and much more consistently. They're coming across even stronger than the first time I'd written them and I love that.

The last reason I'm doing it this way is more professional. It's always been my plan to get my work out there in some capacity, and I've been practicing and writing my ass off to try and make that happen. Not necessarily in traditional publishing circles, but at least in a self-publishing effort. My first book is one that I would like to self publish, and would want to self publish its sequels eventually too. I think it has a chance with a publisher/agent in a traditional way, but not as much as one of my current works in progress, which I plan to finish after I rewrite this book. That work, its own standalone story, will likely be the one I push for real, traditional publishing, while trying to market and make a name for myself with the series I self publish.

What does this mean for you, my blog reader? Well, nothing, really. Yet. It means that I'm working to publish something, something of mine you can read as fiction and this blog will then sort of make sense. It means that the word counts I'm putting up will now be in line with the work I do on that rewrite. And of course, it means that I've changed my mind yet again about what I'm working on.

In any case, Friday will bring a new word count total. I know I did over 2K yesterday, but only about 1,100 on Monday. So we'll have to catch up! Also, I am still planning on posting some of my short works and flash fiction for you to read, so be ready for that!

Bishop

No comments:

Post a Comment